CFL: Mohun Bagan beat Railway FC 3-0

KOLKATA: Mohun Bagan built on their impressive start to the campaign beating Railway FC 3-0 to log their second consecutive win in the CFL Premier Division – A on Friday.

The win at Mohun Bagan Ground was powered by goals from Chesterpaul Lyngdoh (63rd minute), Bayi Kamo Stephane (79th) and Shilton D’Silva (90+2nd) after a barren first-half.

The two sides had been sizing each other up in the opening minutes with Mohun Bagan having the first sight of goal when Liberian forward Ansumana Kromah’s tame shot was easily picked up by Railway FC goalkeeper Rana Chakraborty in the 7th minute.

Railway FC roared to life in the 17th minute when Sukumar Roy controlled the ball in the box but his ferociously struck shot went wide.

Thereafter, it was one-way traffic, with Ivorain striker Kamo and the speedy wingers Chesterpaul and Nikhil Kadam creating numerous chances for the Mariners.

Meanwhile, Railway FC suffered a major jolt two minutes before half-time when midfielder Amit Samanta was sent off.

However, Railway FC were not deterred and goalkeeper Rana along with defender Abhishek Aich showed a rock-solid performance and helped their team to keep a clean sheet in the first-half.

Needing a goal, Mohun Bagan came out all guns blazing in the second-half as they attacked by pushing high up. The pressure paid off as the Mariners finally broke the deadlock in the 63rd minute when Chesterpaul slotted home from outside the box to put Mohun Bagan 1-0 up.

Having scored, Mohun Bagan continued to put pressure and held midfield superiority, further swelling their lead in the 79th minute. Kamo dispatched the ball from inside the box after receiving the ball from Azharuddin Mallick.

From there on Mohun Bagan slowed down a gear, but remained in total control of the game. In the 84th minute Chesterpaul sent substitute Narohari Shrestha on goal with a pass into space, but his left-foot shot from the edge of the box was saved by Rana.

Railway FC, on the other hand, made a few counter moves and nearly pulled a goal back but Javed Ansari’s powerful shot from the top of the box off Mithun Saha’s pass was fisted over the bar by Mohun Bagan keeper Shibinraj Kunniyil.

Substitute Shilton D’Silva then rounded off the tally scoring in added time with an fine header off a cross from the left by Chesterpaul.

Leave a Reply